This document provides various details as to the 118 Illinois motorcycle accident deaths in 2014, a decrease of more than 22% from the 152 deaths in 2013. [note: the 118 deaths were from 116 fatal motorcycle accidents, and included both motorcycle operators and passengers]
Below are a few of the notable excerpts:
- The 116 fatal crashes involving motorcycles accounted for almost 14% of all fatal motor vehicle crashes occurring in 2014. The 118 motorcyclists killed accounted for almost 13% of all motor vehicle fatalities occurring in 2014. In comparison, 2014 motorcycle registrations only comprised about 4% of all motor vehicle registrations.
- Of the 118 motorcyclists killed in 2014, two (less than 2%) wore a DOT-compliant helmet, 33 (28%) wore a helmet unknown to be DOT-compliant, and 80 (68%) were not wearing a helmet.
- Generally, the hours of 6:00 p.m. on Friday through 11:59 p.m. on Sunday are deadlier for motorcyclists than other periods of the week. In 2014, 64 (55%) of the 116 fatal crashes involving motorcycles occurred during the weekend between the hours of 6:00 p.m. Friday and 11:59 p.m. Sunday.
- 40 (37%) of the 107 motorcycle operators killed in 2014 tested positive for alcohol. Their BAC results ranged from 0.01 to 0.35, with the average being 0.15. Of the 40 operators killed who tested positive for alcohol, 33 (83%) had a BAC greater than or equal to 0.08.
- Weather and roadway surface condition are generally not factors in crashes that result in motorcycle fatalities. In 2014, approximately 97% of fatal motorcycle crashes occurred in clear weather, and on dry pavement.
The document also displays a variety of other information, including in what Illinois counties motorcycle accidents most frequently occurred.
Should you or someone you care for experience a motorcycle accident injury or fatality in Illinois, please contact the Elman Law Group for a free consultation to discuss the legal situation and to determine whether a personal injury lawsuit should be filed. Elman Law Group LLC (ElmanLaw.com) is an Illinois personal injury law firm that concentrates in Illinois personal injury and wrongful death cases involving vehicle accidents (car, motorcycle, bike, bus, pedestrian, truck, etc.)
Elman Law Group’s Lead Attorney, Tony Elman, is a personal injury trial lawyer. Over the last 20+ years Elman Law Group has handled over 10,000 Illinois personal injury lawsuits.
During this 20+ year period, Elman Law Group has built a reputation for its courtroom trial performance, including getting large verdicts for smaller cases. In fact, because of these court trial accomplishments, many well-known law firms choose to have Elman Law Group take cases to court.
To speak directly to Tony Elman, Lead Attorney of the Elman Law Group, call (773) 392-8182 at any time. This legal consultation is free.
Elman Law Group works on a “contingency” basis…Elman Law Group’s clients never pay a fee unless and until they receive monetary compensation.